Friday, February 6, 2009

Big Fight at the Oregon Trail Saloon Part II

I transported Butch to the County Jail in Greenriver, Wyoming and booked him into the jail and during the process I was worried about Butch because he didn't look well. Myself and the jailor asked him several times if he wanted to be transported back to the hospital, to which he answered no. After finishing at the jail I sped back to Farson to find out about our lost prisoner.

When I arrived I called Brad and he told me a strange tale. He said that he found the escaped prisoner in a trailer house, but when he attempted to gain access to the house he was accosted by three armed men who denied him entrance to the house. Brad decided to wait until I arrived to negotiate with the men, and so he and I approached the trailer again. The spokesman of the group told us that the man I had the first encounter with was injured badly, but that he was on parole from the Colorado State Pen in Canyon City, Colorado and that if he was arrested he would go back to prison for a long time. These three men gave us the choice of becoming involved in a shoot out with them, or let the man leave.

I did not think that they had the gumption to start a gun fight with Brad and I, but I told them that releasing the man after my encounter with him was a poor idea. They stated that they would guarantee that the man would leave the area and not come back. I consulted with Brad and between us we decided that we would take a chance and cut this fellow a deal. I asked them to return the cuffs to me and I took the three's drivers license information and told them that if he ever returned I would hold them both responsible. This was probably not the best decision I ever made, but I decided to take a chance on him doing what he promised he would do. This event took place in a time and a place in which law enforcement decisions of this magnitude happened quite regularly, I could not, nor would I be allowed to do such a thing in this day.

I returned home after this last encounter and even though I was apprehensive about the outcome of the situation involving the two prisoners I transported to the hospital and jail, I managed to get to sleep about seven o'clock that morning, after cleaning up and inspecting the damage to my body after the fight in which Brad and I were involved. I had numerous cuts, contusion and abrasions from the fight and I suffered some deep bruising to my kidney area that would take a long time to heal, and I probably needed stitches, but I shunned going to the doctor to have it done. I believe I suffered long term damage to my kidneys from the fight and suffer to this day from kidney problems that I believe were caused by the brusing I sustained to my kidneys in the fight.

At about eight o'clock I received a phone call that awakened me from a deep sleep. It was from the County Attorney whom I had supported during his recent election to his office. He initiated the conversation by saying, "Heard you had a fight last night." I acknowled that I did. He then said, "I just wanted you to know that if Butch dies, I intend to prosecute you for his death. I was shocked at first and asked him to explain. He stated that Butch had collapsed in the jail and he had been air lifted to a brain trauma unit in Salt Lake City, Utah with a cracked skull. I asked the County Attorney, "Do you know what happened here last night? Were you told that we were attacked by eighteen people and barely escaped with our lives." He stated that he was only aware that the man had been beaten by me and might die, and he reiterated that he intended to prosecute me if the man died. I lost my temper and made one of my most stupid comments ever. I asked him what the charge was for killing two people, he didn't answer and so I told him that if he was going to prosecute me for doing my job, I thought it might be a good idea for me to drive to Green River, shoot him (the county attorney) and that way I could get rid of two pests for the price of one. He hung up on me and I never had any contact with him again, charges were never filed when the full story of the fight came out with our reports and the statements of witnesses to the fight.

The conclusion of this story is that Butch lived, the man who was hospitalized in Rock Springs that I struck with the stick lived, and the ex-con never came back as he promised. When their trial took place, both Butch and the the man apologized profusely for their actions on the night of the fight to both Brad and I. They pled guilty to the charges, all misdemeanor and paid hefty fines that the judge levied against them. Butch returned to Farson with his crew, and one day my friend Mitch who owned the local restaurant in which Butch's crew ate every day; saw Butch sitting at the breakfast bar in the restaurant looking morose and constantly shaking his head like he was troubled. Mitch approached Butch and asked him what was wrong, Butch said, "Mitch you know that damned cop don't you?" Mitch responded, "Yes, very well!" Did you know he pointed a gun at me the night of the fight?" Again, Mitch answered, "Yes!" Butch then stated, "Do you think he would have shot me?" Mitch responded, "Butch if you knew how close to death you were, you would have run the other direction." Mitch told me later that Butch hung his head and said rather emotionally, "I knew it, I knew it, all I can think of is the barrel of that gun pointed at me and it looked like the end of a 55 gallon barrel.

No comments: